About

History

The Capitol School, founded in 1993, takes its name from nearby Capitol Park, where Tuscaloosa served as Alabama’s state capital from 1826 to 1846. The school’s original building, the McGuire-Strickland House, is one of the oldest wooden structures in Tuscaloosa County. Another historic landmark on campus, the Browne-Randall House, was among the first homes built in Tuscaloosa after the Civil War and is now one of seven buildings that make up the school.

Adjacent to the school, Capitol Park preserves the ruins of Alabama’s former state capitol, which later became home to the Alabama Central Female College until it burned down in 1923. The park’s remaining stone columns and foundations serve as a reminder of Tuscaloosa’s historical significance. By incorporating these historic buildings and landmarks into its environment, The Capitol School provides students with a tangible connection to Alabama’s past, fostering an appreciation for history while creating a distinctive learning environment.
The McGuire-Strickland House was built in 1820 by the first Probate Judge, Moses McGuire. This was just after Alabama became a state in December 14, 1819. It is believed to be the oldest wooden structure in Tuscaloosa. The house is a raised Creole Cottage in the Greek Revival style, reminiscent of many buildings in the New Orleans area. The house was originally located on the corner of Greensboro Avenue and 15th Street. The Capitol School has been in this location since 1993. It is one of seven buildings on the school's campus.